Making A Difference For Dads
Our Chicago based law firm has a demonstrated record of success on behalf of fathers in custody disputes arising in divorce and paternity cases, in related matters such as domestic violence protection orders, and in post-decree matters such as child abduction, parent relocation and modification of child support orders.
Summer Du brings her extensive litigation experience to bear on behalf of fathers who are being denied a place in their children’s lives. Previously, she worked for Judge Mark J. Lopez in the Domestic Relations Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County, where she researched and drafted the very type of decisions that she now fights for on behalf of clients of the Law Offices of Jeffery M. Leving Ltd. Her experience also includes international law disputes.
Before joining the Leving firm, she gained extensive and sophisticated civil litigation experience, including representing the City of Chicago. She has litigated and supervised law firms for years.
As a new mother and recent immigrant, Summer empathizes with her clients’ struggles and goals, which she has fought for in and out of the courtroom.
Summer earned her Juris Doctor from DePaul University College of Law, Master of Science from Indiana University, and her Bachelor’s degree from Beijing Sports University. She is licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois and the United States District Court of the Northern District in Illinois.
Summer participated in the DePaul Domestic Violence Project to assist domestic violence victims filing petitions for emergency orders of protection. Summer is a past president of DePaul Asian Pacific American Law Students Association, and two-time Diversity Scholarship winner.
Summer has been a fierce advocate for the Asian American community in Chicago. She has been a regular volunteer at Chinatown Pro Bono Clinic since 2014. Summer is the communication co-chair of the Asian American Bar Association of Greater Chicago, and a board member of the Chinese American Bar Association. Summer also participates in the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association lobby day at the U.S. Capitol in Washington annually.
Important legal case victories
- Summer successfully obtained many orders of protection for Chicago Police officers, LGBTQ domestic violence victims and people with language barriers.
- Summer secured a judgment of over $300,000 involving insurance fraud and breach of contract.
- Summer successfully represented a family of four to obtain their United States residencies through the credible fear interview, conducted by an asylum officer from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Asylum Division.
Areas Of Practice
- Matrimonial and family Law, international family law
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- Juris Doctor
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Master of Science
- Beijing Sports University, Beijing
- Bachelor of Management
Honors and Awards
- 2019 Rising Star, Chinese-American Bar Association