Making A Difference For Dads
Our Chicago based law firm has a demonstrated record of success on behalf of fathers in custody disputes arising in divorce and paternity cases, in related matters such as domestic violence protection orders, and in post-decree matters such as child abduction, parent relocation and modification of child support orders.
Percy D. Mitchell
Percy D. Mitchell has dedicated his legal career to the pursuit of justice. While attending law school at Southern Illinois University, he worked at the University Law Clinic, assisting clients with family law. He also worked in the Elder Law Clinic, dealing with family law, guardianship, probate and property dispositions. Mitchell earned his juris doctor degree from Southern Illinois in 1999. He comes from a family of highly experienced and respected lawyers and judges, including three judges who currently serve in Illinois courts.
Mitchell is a New York native who grew up in Dayton, Ohio, and, from fifth grade on, in Chicago. He graduated from Latin School of Chicago, and earned a bachelor’s degree in sociology at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.
Mitchell previously worked for several law firms in Chicago, and on his own, successfully handling criminal cases, complex family law cases and real estate transactions.
Mitchell also worked for the American Bar Association, as manager of the organization’s mandatory continuing legal education program. He oversaw the production of, and sought accreditation for, over 1,200 ABA-sponsored mandatory continuing legal education programs each year.
Mitchell has expertise in family law, having litigated divorce, child custody, child support, child support enforcement, parentage, order of protection and paternity cases, as well as cases initiated by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services. He has won many significant favorable rulings by judges, and he has successfully negotiated settlements.
“What motivates me is coming to people’s rescue when they desperately need help,” Mitchell says. “I fight for them when nobody else will.”
Mitchell is also a motorcycle enthusiast, riding his BMW K 1600 GTL to his office downtown, and to courthouses around Illinois.
Areas Of Practice
- Order of Protection
- Dissolution of Marriage
- Child Custody
- Litigation, Negotiation and Mediation
- Child Support Awards and Modifications
- Visitation and Parenting Time
- Domestic Violence
- DCFS Matters
- HFS Matters
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- Southern Illinois University School of Law, Carbondale, Illinois
- Juris Doctor - 1999
- Roosevelt University Lawyer's Assistant Paralegal Program - Certificate of Completion
- Honors: With High Honors
- Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
- B.A. - 1992
- Mitchell represented a friend of his in a contested child custody case. Despite strenuous objections from opposing counsel, Mitchell persuaded the judge to award his client sole custody and sole decision making of the client’s daughter. The child is better off because of the efforts of Mitchell.
- Mitchell represented a good father and his wife who were indicated for alleged abuse and neglect of their disabled child by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services. Through Mitchell’s hard work, the indicated finding was reversed and the parents were exonerated of the false charges. Now the parents can live as a family without fear of being separated.
- Mitchell represented an immigrant family with two small children who were facing eviction. Through his tenacious representation, he saved the family from being thrown out on the street and achieved a significant reduction in the amount of back rent owed to the former landlord.