Making A Difference For Dads
Our Chicago based law firm has a demonstrated record of success on behalf of fathers in custody disputes arising in divorce and paternity cases, in related matters such as domestic violence protection orders, and in post-decree matters such as child abduction, parent relocation and modification of child support orders.
The Hon. Travis Richardson is a former judge on the Circuit Court of Cook County. He was assigned to the First Municipal District, and regularly presided over felony proceedings, misdemeanor trials and traffic matters.
Prior to serving on the bench, Judge Richardson ran a successful and respected law practice with Myron Mackoff, who now serves as a judge in the Domestic Relations Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County. While running the law firm of Richardson and Mackoff, Richardson handled a variety of family law, civil and criminal matters, representing individuals as well as Fortune 500 companies before federal and state courts and agencies. “I taught him how to try family law cases, and he taught me how to try criminal cases,” Mackoff said.
At the Law Offices of Jeffery M. Leving Ltd., Richardson brings his experience and knowledge as a judge to benefit the clients he represents in complex divorce, child custody, child support and criminal cases. “There’s no one more vulnerable than a parentless child,” Richardson said.
Richardson is a brilliant litigator, having been selected by his peers as a Leading Lawyer. He has been appointed as a special assistant state’s attorney for Cook County, as well as a special corporation counsel for the City of Chicago. He also was part of the team of lawyers that investigated torture by Officer John Burge.
As lead counsel, Richardson won five jury trials in a row in Federal Court in the Northern District of Illinois, representing the City of Chicago and officers of the Chicago Police Department.
Richardson has served on the Board and as an officer of the Cook County Bar Association and serves on the Elections Committee of the National Bar Association. He has received the honor of being recognized by the Law Bulletin Publishing Co. as one of the Top 40 Attorneys Under 40 in Illinois to Watch for 2005-06. He was appointed as a hearing officer for the Chicago Board of Elections.
Richardson is a member of the National Bar Association (NBA), American Bar Association (ABA), Cook County Bar Association (CCBA), and the Chicago Bar Association (CBA). He was appointed to the highly selective Judicial Performance Commission of Cook County. He also is past chair of the CBA Coordinating Council for Minority Affairs and the CCBA Judicial Evaluation Committee and served on the CCBA Job Fair Committee. He has also served on the CBA Nominations and Elections Committee. Judge Richardson has received a Special Chairperson’s Award from the NBA Judicial Council, as well as the CCBA Junior Counselor Award for outstanding service to the legal profession and the bar.
Richardson is writing a guide to law schools for minority students, as well as a piece on the disenfranchisement of ex-felons. He was selected to give the keynote address at the second annual Judge A. Leon Higginbotham Jr. Memorial Luncheon at the National Black Law Students Association annual convention.
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 1996
- University of Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1990
Honors and Awards
- Chicago Defender Men of Excellence Award (2018)
- Illinois Leading Lawyers Distinction (2016-17)
- The National Black Lawyers Top 100 (2017-18)
- Young Elected Officials Network- United States Presidential Honoree at The White House (2011)
- Teach For America/Leadership for Educational Equity- Sen. Paul Wellstone Scholar (2011)
- National Bar Association- Judicial Council Special Chairperson’s Award (2003)
- American Bar Association/Young Lawyers Division- Minorities in the Profession Diversity Scholarship (2001-02)
- University of Michigan Law School Rockwell T. Gust Advocacy Award (1996)- Awarded to third-year student demonstrating the greatest potential as a trial lawyer and advocate in graduating class
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity - Life Member / Xi Lambda Chapter
- The Annie Keller Elementary Gifted Magnet School- 8th Grade Basketball Head Coach (2016-17); 7th Grade Assistant Coach (2015-16); 6th Grade Assistant Coach (2014-15); 5th Grade Assistant Coach (2013-14)
- Xi Lambda Educational Foundation Board of Directors (2002-10)
- Trinity United Church of Christ- Legal Counseling Ministry
- Northwestern University Moot Court Judge
Past Employment Positions
- The Annie Keller Elementary Gifted Magnet School , Local School Council, 2010 to 2012
- Circuit Court of Cook County , Judge, 2017 to 2018
- Chicago Board of Elections (2018-present; 2010-12), Hearing Officer
- Alpha Phi Alpha