To accompany his degrees from Boston University and John Marshall Law School, James Hagler also holds an FAA Airframe and Power Plant License from the University of Illinois Institute of Aviation and retired in 2005 after serving as a Sergeant First Class in a combat unit of the Illinois National Guard.
Jim brings his battlefield tactics to the courtroom on behalf of others. He has represented many high-profile clients including professional athletes, recording artists and public officials.
Widely-known as a tenacious litigator, Jim was honored with the Award of Merit from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children due to his experience and knowledge in international Hague Convention custody litigation. The National Center has referred many international cases to him in which he helped reunite many fathers with their children from Poland, Argentina, and Mexico.
Jim, an attorney with a deep sense of loyalty and courage, was also presented the “Life Saver Award” for helping recover an abused and kidnapped child who is now safe and out of harm’s way.
In August 2009, Mr. Hagler was invited by the White House Office of Faith-based & Neighborhood Partnerships as an expert resource to join White House staff and others to participate in the First Annual White House Town Hall Meeting on Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families.
Most recently, in early 2015 Mr. Hagler was appointed to serve on the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) Standing Committee on Judicial Evaluations in Cook County. This is a significant professional honor involving the review of Judges in our judicial system.
As a former family law judge in Cook County, I know who the great trial attorneys are and James Hagler of the Law Offices of Jeffery M. Leving is one of the best, just like the other attorneys at the Leving firm. There is no case too complex or difficult he will not handle. He is always fighting for his clients and the best interests of their children.
- Judge Allan Masters
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- Illinois, 1991
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1991
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1991
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 1991
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1990
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- B.A. - 1983
Honors and Awards
- Award of Merit from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- Life Saver Award
- Chicago Best Lawyer 2015 -selected by his peers
- Best Divorce Lawyer
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) , Serving on Standing Committee on Judicial Evaluations in Cook County
Past Employment Positions
- Illinois National Guard, Sergeant, 1981 to 1995